To all Local 4304 members,
A reminder that nominations for the coming election for Stewards, Committees, and Delegates are STILL OPEN with several positions available to members in both bargaining units. Members have until the end of the May General Membership Meeting on Wednesday (May 19th) to submit nominations for themselves or other members (the other member must also accept the nomination before nominations close) to run and serve in the various steward, committee, and delegate positions. Election day for stewards, committees, and delegates is Wednesday, June 16, 2021.
The nomination tracker is located here: https://tiny.cc/2021Local4304Nominations
At the time of writing this, there has yet to be any nominations submitted for the following positions (descriptions of each committee included):
- Local 4304 Young Workers Committee: The Young Workers Committee sets its own agenda for activism that upholds the integrity of Unifor’s constitution and the union’s progressive policies with the viewpoint of young workers in mind. The Young Workers Committee raises awareness of issues specific to young workers and young people in general with local union leadership and the local union membership, provides outreach to young members in the workplace and connects them with the union, advocates on behalf of young workers in the union and in the community, supports the work of other union committees and their campaign efforts, lending expertise and providing fresh insight into issues through a young worker perspective, and builds links with other progressive-minded and youth groups in the community and across the country, including student groups, youth environmental groups and social service groups. The National Union has defined a ‘young worker’ as someone who is 35 years of age or younger.
- GRT Fleet Training & Joint Apprenticeship Committees (Fleet only): The Fleet Training Committee assesses training requirements and makes recommendations for training programs sponsored by the employer and provides constructive feedback on training sponsored by the Employer in order to support the efficient and effective maintenance and repair of the GRT Fleet. The committee will focus on training requirements pertaining to: Electrical systems, suspension systems, HVAC systems, engine and transmission diagnosis, air systems, and brake systems. The committee will contribute to the development of standard operating procedures through a review process as well as make recommendations for training to support the introduction of new technology. The Joint Apprenticeship Committee will be composed of the same members as the Fleet Training Committee and discusses matters of interest to the parties in relation to apprentices and apprenticeships at GRT.
- GRT Joint Health & Safety Committee (Fleet positions – 1 from Kitchener, 1 from Cambridge): The purpose of the Joint Health & Safety Committee is to work co-operatively with the employer in identifying and resolving safety and health issues in support of a planned occupational safety and health program and to prevent occupational injuries and diseases in the workplace.
- GRT New Members Committee (Fleet position): The New Members Committee conducts the Unifor New Member Orientation Program and distributes a new member ‘Welcome Kit’ to all new members in their division with the goal of promoting union membership, participation in union activities and functions, educating members on the role of the union in their workplace, explaining the importance of following and defending their collective agreement and provides information about their many union representatives.
- GRT Operations Committee (Specialized Dispatch position, and Fleet positions – 1 from Kitchener, 1 from Cambridge): The Operations Committee works to improve working conditions related to placement of bus stops, performance of on-street operations, traffic control signals, pavement markings, street signs, turning movements, vehicle equipment layout and operation, workplace equipment layout and operation, etc. Per the GRT Collective Agreement the committee meets every two months with GRT Planning, Operations and Fleet staff/management to propose and discuss ideas to effect changes.
- GRT Return to Work Committee (Fleet position): The purpose of the Return To Work Committee is to make recommendations/provide input on modified duties that could be made available to members during the return to work process. The committee will not generally be involved in individual return to work cases
- GCC Joint Health & Safety Committee: The purpose of the Joint Health & Safety Committee is to work co-operatively with the employer in identifying and resolving safety and health issues in support of a planned occupational safety and health program and to prevent occupational injuries and diseases in the workplace.
- GCC Return to Work Committee: The purpose of the Return To Work Committee is to make recommendations/provide input on modified duties that could be made available to members during the return to work process. The committee will not generally be involved in individual return to work cases
There are also a number of other potential vacancies as well since not all committees have enough candidates as of yet to fill the number of positions that are available. All Local 4304 members with any potential interest in serving on a union committee should take a look at the nominations tracker, and the descriptions of the committees, to see if they have an interest in serving on one or more of them. Also, if you know of another member who you think would be a good candidate for a committee position consider encouraging them to run!
Yours in solidarity,
Unifor Local 4304